This major release brings significant version upgrades to all supported renderers : Arnold 5, 3Delight 13 (NSI), and Appleseed 1.8. It also introduces native support for OpenVDB, and initial support for reading and writing USD files. This is of course in addition to the usual assortment of improvements and bug fixes.
As of this release we no longer support Arnold 4 or 3Delight 12. Additionally, some Cortex functionality has been moved to the IECoreScene python module, and we now use the imath python module to access types like V3f, Color3f etc. Custom scripts and/or expressions may need to be updated accordingly. See the Breaking Changes section for more details.
- Arnold 5 support (#2308) :
- Added support for rendering arbitrary meshes as volumes. Previously they were converted to box volumes.
- Added support for light path expressions.
- Added support for transform_type.
- Added ArnoldAOVShader node to support AOV shaders.
- Added support for volume_padding (#2356).
- 3Delight 13 support via the NSI API (#2311).
- All shading/lighting is now performed via OSL shaders.
- Includes full support for adding/removing/moving objects during interactive rendering.
- Appleseed 1.8 support (#2371) :
- Updated version to 1.8.1.
- Added AOV presets to the Outputs node.
- USD (#2393)
- The SceneReader node can now read USD files.
- The SceneWriter node can now write USD files.
- VDB (#2373) :
- Added native support for representing VDB volume data in Gaffer scenes.
- The standard SceneReader node can now load .vdb files.
- VDB objects can be rendered directly to Arnold.
- The Viewer now provides basic visualisation of VDB grids.
- The SceneInspector provides inspection of grid metadata etc in the Object section.
- Several new nodes demonstrate the feasibility of manipulating
VDB grids directly in Gaffer’s node graph :
- Catalogue : Added a new CatalogueSelect node. This can be placed downstream of a Catalogue to override the image to view (#2370).
- UI Editor : Added the ability to add custom buttons to a plug (#2348).
- Gadget : Introduced layer-based rendering for Gadget-based UI elements (#2304).
- OpenColorIO nodes : Added role presets to all colorspace plugs (#2379)
- NodeGraph : Added icons to signify that a node has been bookmarked (#2369)
- PlugLayout : Improved layout of successive accessory widgets. They are now all placed in the same row (#2348).
- Simplified 3delight configuration based on $DELIGHT environment variable (#2311).
- TaskPlug/FilterPlug/ShaderPlug : Tightened
- OSLObject : Added support for reading and writing matrix primitive variables (#2327).
- GafferImage : Moved default format plug creation to gui config (#2333).
- Catalogue :
- File Menu : Fixed “Import…” bugs (#1077, #2339).
- Edit Menu : Fixed automatic layout of pasted nodes (#2383)
- ShaderPlug : Fixed bug when deserialising inputs from BoxIO nodes (#2374)
- Crop : Fixed bug whereby changing the format plug value did not trigger recomputation (#2368).
- ImageWriter (#2364) :
- Fixed a crash when writing a data window with a single pixel .
- Fixed writing of empty data windows to write a single pixel data window instead of a full image. OpenEXR does not support empty data windows, so we must write at least one pixel.
- NodeGraph :
- SubGraph : Accounted for BoxIO nodes in `correspondingInput() (#2360). This fixed a node reconnection bug when deleting a Box or Reference, and allows Box and Reference nodes to be drag-inserted onto existing connections.
- ScriptNode :
- Fixed node deletion problems caused by errors in
correspondingInput()implementations. This was preventing nodes representing missing Arnold shaders from being deleted (#2355).
- Fixed crashes caused by syntax errors in code passed to
execute()method. This could cause a crash when pasting invalid text into the NodeGraph. (#2319, #2320)
- Fixed node deletion problems caused by errors in
- Shader/ShaderPlug : Fixed GIL management bug which could cause a deadlock
- GraphComponent : Fixed crashes caused by passing
Noneto the Python bindings (#2338).
- VectorWarp : Fixed handling of nan/inf (#2341).
- Expression : Fixed copy/paste bug (#2336).
- BoxIO : Fixed undo/redo of
- RendererAlgo : Fixed crash when renderer returns a null ObjectInterface (#2302).
- SetUI : Fixed set name context menus to account for intermediate nodes between destination and filter (#2312).
- StandardLightVisualiser : Fixed for Cortex 10 UV conventions (#2311).
- PlugAlgo : Fixed promotion of non-serialisable output plugs (#2314).
- Serialiser : Fixed syntax error created by
- Plug : Fixed
setInput( nullptr )so it removes inputs from all descendant plugs (#2323).
- OpenColorIOTransform : Added method to query available role names (#2379)
- Added default template arguments to simplify usage of several methods (#2361)
- Added GafferUI.ButtonPlugValueWidget (#2348).
- ScriptNode : Added
- Added new OpenGL renderer backend (#2302).
- Gadget : Introduced layer-based rendering (#2304).
- GafferOSL :
- Removed GafferRenderMan, and with it support for 3Delight versions prior to 13 (#2311).
- Removed support for Arnold 4 (#2308).
- Gaffer and Cortex now use the official
imathpython module rather than custom bindings in IECore (#2378).
- Cortex scene classes have moved to a new IECoreScene module, as we continue to simplify and modularize Cortex (#2362).
- Removed SplineEditor/SplinePlugGadget since they have never been used (#2375).
- Removed ProceduralHolder node. This was not exposed via the UI, had never been used, and is no longer supported by any of the renderer backends (#2366).
- Shader : Removed deprecated state methods (#2354).
- Removed RenderableGadget. If similar functionality is required, use an ObjectToSceneNode and a SceneGadget (#2334).
- SceneAlgo : Removed camera/transform utilities. These relied on conventions and functionality that will be removed in Cortex 10 (#2332).
- RendererAlgo : Removed obsolete functions used only with the legacy renderer backends (#2318).
- Removed code for handling
IECore::Light. Lights are now always represented as shaders assigned to a location (#2331).
- Removed SceneProcedural and ScriptProcedural. These were only useful in legacy renderer backends, which have now all been removed (#2318).
- Removed ExecutableRender node. This used the legacy renderer backends which have all been removed (#2318).
- Gadget : Modified rendering API (#2304).
- Removed IncrementingPlugValueWidget. Use RefreshPlugValueWidget instead (#2322).
- Removed EnumPlugValueWidget. Use PresetsPlugValueWidget and metadata presets instead (#2322).
- ViewportGadget : Refactored camera transform handling. The camera
transform is now accessed via new
getCameraTransform()methods, rather than via the camera itself (#2351).
- ScriptNode : Modified signature of
ScriptExecutedSignalto use raw pointers (#2336).